Combining the features of contemporary and traditional furniture is what is called transitional style in furniture. It is more ideal for homeowners seeking to have a not so olden style and still having a touch of newness.
Qualities of transitional furniture
Transitional furniture is somewhere between the lines of conventional and contemporary styles. They are referred to as updated classis by most interior designers. The most definitive quality of transitional furniture is it does not have the ornate design of traditional fitment and the rigour of modern fitment.
1. Straightforward and elegant lines without the sharp corners or the additional bleak straight lines
2. It is moderate in size to keep up with the modern tenor of furniture
3. Carvings are limited to accentuations and decorations and they do not uniformly cover its surface
4. Those made of wood have a subdued finish as well as in upholstered fabrics
5. They are more casual; thus, are more comfortable, welcoming and relaxing.
6. Elements of masculinity and femininity are properly combined to suit any room and the taste of both sexes.
Colors and Materials
Variety is a characteristic of transitional furniture and that goes even on the various materials used. It uses even a number of variety in materials compared to modern and traditional styles.
1. Wood is in a lighter shade than traditional fitment – with the appearance devoid of dark and brooding appeal.
2. Glass, metal and wood are used by blending them together. Either you get wood and glass or metal and glass. You can also find sleek glass, metal or acrylic used in this type of furniture on its own. Some detailed embellishments are added though.
3. Another material used for transitional furniture is leather although the distressed type of leather is commonly utilized. It is often used because it is informal and more convenient but still showing a touch of formality.
4. Textures fabrics are also used like corduroys, chenilles and ultrasuedes. These colors have subdued hues and their texture builds more curiosity.
5. Transitional furniture in fabrics have neutral and a little fairer shade. The colors commonly used are creamy whites, tans, taupes, and olives.
Since this type of furniture is not too theatrical or dramatic, you get the chance to display your other decorations and collections. Suitable accessories for transitional furniture can include those that are exotic and eclectic as well as those that are romantic and quiet and classic items. The good thing with transitional furniture is that they are flexible and can blend well with any type of accessories.
If you want to maintain a transitional style not only in your furniture but for your accessories, too, you can do the following tips.
1. Select textured rugs in neutral tones. Avoid complicated patterns but you can have those in geometrical patterns.
2. Have mirrors with uncomplicated frames for your wall decors.
3. Items that have a sheen of age or Asian-inspired room dividers are good choices.
4. Have some silver and simple candlesticks.
5. Flower vases that are not too huge are also ideal.